Sunday, May 29, 2011

Few comments on DSI Mopho Keyboard

DSI Mopho Keyboard

I also a had chance to finally test this little beast:
Mopho Keyboard  from David Smith Instruments (DSI).


Well, to make it sure, now we are speaking about real analog synthesizer. I had no chance to go very deep into its sound but for sure it sounded like real analog: basic sound was pleasing and filters were really great. I did own DSI tetra some time ago so basically I knew what kind of sound to expect. 


What made me little disappointed was the keyboard itself. First, for me personally 32-keys keyboard is too small. I had to play it to really realize this. I'd say that 44-keys (3,5 octaves) might be quite optimal like it is in Minimoog for example. This Mopho size can be also problematic on stage: where to put it when normal double stands cannot hold this small keyboard?

In general Mopho Keyboard seems to be well constructed: it is heavy (in its small size), it has sturdy metal enclosure and nice wooden ends. Then it was a little surprise to me that keyboard action was little lighter than I expected and it was not that good quality. It felt little loose and "cheaper" compared to best Roland keyboard actions and to Minimoog voyager for example (which were there at the same music store).


No comments:

Post a Comment