Wednesday, June 22, 2011

New Bright Grand on a gig

Yesterday I tested this new grand in real life, which unfortunately quite often means bad acoustics and bad sound system. Last nights gig was both. To be honest, I was little disappointed about performance of new grand. Ok, I don't know how did it sound to audience - I only had one monitor; normally I have two to make it stereo - but to myself sound was little metallic, thin and lacking body. The last complaint has been common with earlier Nord piano sounds: sounds can sound realistic in good studio acoustics but on stage they lack body. Perhaps this is the reason why Rolands and Yamahas sound like they do. They aren't the most realistic in natural sense but they give a quite good compromise over playability, power and natural sound. In general I have feeling that the most realistic sound can maybe be the most difficult on stage.

Anyway I have been very satisfied with resent development of Clavia's piano palette: Lady D (Steinway) was the first easy-to-work-with-on-stage -piano. It certainly have this body which was lacking with its predecessors. Also, Grand Imperial (Bosendorfer) has been same class giving more brightness and power than Lady. Let's make further tests with new Bright Grand, if it finds its place on my stage setup. I know very well from past experiences that new pianos need time to play with to make a final judgement. That was case with Grand Imperial too; now it's my first choise piano on stage...

No comments:

Post a Comment